Pages

Saturday 23 April 2011

Hello everyone, I've also just finished reading GraceWilliams Says It Loud and really enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the right word for a book with such a potentially distressing subject. Some horrifying things do happen to Grace but the author presents them with a lightness of touch and balances them with descriptions of the happy and positive things that happen during the years Grace spends in the Briar Mental hospital. the most important of these is her remarkable relationship with fellow patient, Daniel. I liked the contrast between Grace's creative and amusing use of language as the narrative voice with her inability to verbalise with anything more than two words to the outside world. I thought the book was shocking, moving, funny and uplifting in equal measure. I hope the next book will be as good. Think I'll start on Annabel.

No comments:

Post a Comment